Friday, April 6, 2012

The Frailty of Life

Great plumes of smoke burst into the four o'clock sky as we passed on the highway. Five minutes earlier, and we wouldn't have seen the flames. Five minutes later would have been too late. The world was still asleep and unaware of the flames' destruction in its midst.
Pulling up to the house, the orange flames were warm on our faces. No one was around except a man in nothing but shorts pacing frantically on the street. Rushing to our still moving car, he shouted, "Call 911! Please! Please help me! Call 911!" My mother was already talking with the dispatch. He ran back to his truck where his three small children stared in disbelief as the only home they ever knew disappeared in violent chaos. Tears glistened on their eyes, but refused to fall. The young boy looked to me, and with honest and unmasked fear all he could say was, "What about all my toys?"
In this time of confusion and fear, the mysterious but intense love I suddenly felt for these poor children was unmistakable. I felt a strong desire to protect them and comfort them when they were forgotten in the chaos of the moment. As I ran my fingers through the little girls hair, it was like God was whispering to me, "You wanted to do something for me? Well this is it. This is what you're meant to do now. Whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me."
My dad and a few neighbors immediately kicked into action, pounding on the doors of the adjoining residences. When there was no answer, they had to kick in the door. They would not leave anyone behind.
Seeing this family, and how quickly their circumstances changed reminded me of how uncertain this life is. Going to bed last night, they had no idea what they would wake up to. Nothing is stable, we can't even count on tomorrow coming. Eveyday, we are as frail as the day we were born. This is why we have God. He was certainly with us all today. Everything, from the exact moment the flames caught my mom's eye, to the miracle of everyone getting out of the fourplex unscathed, it was all God. It's crazy! He put us in that exact spot in that exact time for a specific reason! And I'm so glad He did! I'm so glad He was with us then, and He's watching over the family now. He is always the same; He never changes. Our stuff on this world doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things. All that matters is God, and his kingdom. <3
~Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...