Monday, February 11, 2013

Slam Poetry

Poetry is awesome.

I know there are those of you out there begging to differ, claiming it's boring, outdated, and frankly a waste of time. Well to you I say, "Humbug!"

I've recently become aware of a new genre of poetry called, "spoken word poetry" (or "slam poetry"). It's so cool! It's modern and edgy for those who like the newest, coolest thing out there. It's got deep and resounding messages (for the most part, I guess it depends on the poet) for you who like deeper connections and other forms of poetry. I really like it, myself. I tried my hand at it a few times, and posted one here

Spoken word poetry is so impactful, because of the strong words, rhythm and passion that goes into every syllable. It moves you, gets you really thinking, gets to the root of humanity. I love it! I don't think something like this can be fully explained, because it affects everyone differently. How about I just show you, and you can find out for yourself?

Sarah Kay- If I Should Have a Daughter

Phil Kaye- Repetition

Propaganda- G.O.S.P.E.L.

Why I hate Religion, But love Jesus

Sarah Kay & Phil Kaye- An Origin Story

These are just a few of my faves. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! After watching them, let me know what your response was. Do you enjoy poetry as a whole? If so, what is your favorite poem? I look forward to hearing more from you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...