Friday, August 30, 2013

Creative Writing: 50th Wedding Anniversary

Weaving through the crowd, she stops now and again to exclaim over voices she loves but rarely hears. She’s beaming radiantly, and I’m reminded of another day, another time when her eyes weren’t veiled in darkness.

As I removed my hands from her eyes, she gasped upon seeing her new home. I dawdled after her as she fluttered this way and that, calling back to me, “Henry, come see the garden! This will be so beautiful!” Then coming to the crest of a hill, she stopped. Her long, wild, brown hair was free and moving with the wind. Silhouetted against the glistening lake, she was breathtaking. As I approached, I saw her hands were over her mouth and tears were glistening in her eyes. She looked up at me and smiled, with all the joy and hope in the world in her eyes. “Thank you,” she whispers.
I wake up from my daydream and find her only feet away, feeling for another object to touch, another hand to guide her. She has aged so gracefully, with creases speaking of a joyful spirit. As she feels her way closer, I reach out to her and grasp her soft hand in mine. A familiar smile creeps onto her face, and I pull her into my arms. She holds me close and I know that this is where I will always be meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...